Vestibular Exercise Program
Vestibular Exercise Program to Overcome Dizziness (Based on Exercises from House Ear Clinic)
Aims of this exercise:
- To loosen up the muscles of the neck and shoulders, to overcome the protective muscular
spasm and tendency to move “in one piece.”
- To train movement of the eyes, independent of the bead.
- To practice balancing in everyday situations with special attention to developing the use of the eyes and the muscle senses.
- To practice head movements that cause dizziness, and thus .gradually overcome the disability.
- To become accustomed to moving about naturally in daylight and in the dark.
- To encourage the restoration of self-confidence and easy spontaneous movement.
Please remember that exercises may often make dizziness WORSE in the beginning before it gets BETTER!
- Eye exercises at first slow, then quickly, 20 times
- Up and down.
- Side to side.
- Repeat a. and b. focusing on finger at arm’s length
- Head exercises-at first slow, then quick, 20 times. [See a and b above]
- Shrug shoulders and rotate, 20 times.
- Bend forward and pick up objects from the ground, 20 times.
- Rotate head and shoulders slowly, then fast, 20 times.
- Rotate head, shoulders and trunk with eyes open, then closed, 20 times.
- Repeat eye exercises (a, b, and c) 20 times as above.
- Repeat head exercises 20 times as above
- Repeat shoulder shrug and rotation 20 times.
- Change from a sitting to standing position, with eyes open, then shut. [10 times]
- Throw ball from hand to hand (above eye level). [10 times].
- Throw ball from hand to hand under knees. [10 times].
- Change from sitting to standing and turn around in between. [10 times].
- Repeat head, shoulder and trunk rotation with eyes opened and closed as above [20 times].
- Walk across room with eyes open, then closed, 10 times.
- Walk up and down slope with eyes open, then closed, 10 times.
- Do any games involving stooping, or stretching and aiming, such as bowling, shuffleboard, etc.
- Stand on one foot with eyes open, then closed.
- Walk with one fool in front of the other with eyes open, then closed.
Vestibular Exercise Program to Overcome Dizziness (word format)
Vestibular Exercise Program (PDF format)